Europa-List: Sad News - Oshkosh Accident

Subject: Europa-List: Sad News - Oshkosh Accident
From: Bob Jacobsen <jacobsenra@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:36:59

Many of you old timers on the list know me well, some of the new ones may
not - I have re-subscribed so I can keep everyone up to date on the very sad
loss of Cliff & Betty Shaw in their beautiful Europa - Wiley E Coyote.

Cliff and Betty were lost today at Oshkosh when they crashed short of runway
26 while on landing approach.  Details are not clear at this time.

Many of you know Cliff as he was always willing to give an opinion and help
out others & Betty for her freindly ways at fly-ins.  I first met Cliff
about 28 years ago when we both built model boats, and we became fast
friends.  We built lots of model projects together over the years so when I
began building my Europa several years ago I asked Cliff if he wanted to
help.  He did and my Europa was completed in 18 months and was beautiful.
Cliff came up with lots of novel ideas that I used.

Eventually he became so interested that he took flying lessons and shortly
after my Europa was finished he got his license.  We flew together in my
plane a lot - but eventually he wanted his own so he built his lovely
tri-gear.  Cliff also worked for me two days a week so we always had fun
stories to share about flying all the time.

I last spoke with Cliff yesterday as I was getting daily updates from him on
his third excursion to Oshkosh in his plane.

Over the next several days I will update you all on information as I find
out.  Cliff's son Mike is my store manager, please remember the family in
your thoughts and prayers.

Cliff & Betty were good friends - they will be missed.

Bob Jacobsen

N165BB (my old Europa)