RE: Europa-List: Doors ( - not "The Doors"...)

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Doors ( - not "The Doors"...)
From: Nigel Graham <nigelgraham@btclick.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 08:12:03
Some years back I began work to develop a set of rear windows for the
Europa.
As part of the PFA submission, I worked with Barry Mellors (the man
responsible for the stress calculations of the original airframe) to
calculate the structural effect on the strength of the fuselage, of cutting
out significant amounts of the turtle deck.
To my astonishment, these calculations revealed that there was no
degradation in rigidity and even more surprising, Barry stated that the
entire turtle deck is "non structural" and that the aircraft could fly quite
happily without it - though I would not advocate trying this out!

The turbulent "roar" caused by even a small opening in a streamlined car
body or aircraft airframe can be quite alarming. You only need to play with
an electric sun-roof to see how small changes in position can create large
differences in turbulence.
If I was to consider using the Europa as a photo ship, I would remove both
doors to eliminate asymmetric forces and then experiment with spoilers along
the top rim of the windscreen - a trick used by many car manufactures to
eliminate sun-roof roar.

Nigel (the other one) Graham