Re: Europa-List: Doors ( - not "The Doors"...)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Doors ( - not "The Doors"...)
From: Donald Ingram <robustdesign@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:36:43
Air blowing over a hole with a cavity, like a flutist blowing over the
hole in the flute, can set up vibrations.  You may remember driving the
car with one window open, and sensing a low frequency vibration.

Vibrations, if they are allowed to resonate, can have amplitudes with
very large peaks, and can be structurally dangerous.  I suspect that
when Dave held the edge of the door frame he dampened the vibrations.
Lord mounts on engine frames dampen potentially damaging resonant
frequencies coming from the engine.

Its possible that removing both doors might have eliminated the
vibration, just as, by analogy, opening several car windows eliminates
air flutter in the car.  The doors per se do not lend much structural
strength to the airplane.  They do prevent air from resonating with the
fuselage cavity, however.

Donald Ingram
A-204 monowheel XS