Re: Re: Europa-List: Water corrosion?

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Water corrosion?
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 07:33:23

From: BEBERRY@aol.com
Date: Fri Oct 07 04:58:49 CDT 2005
Subject: Re: Europa-List: Water corrosion?

After a lot of running problems I have recently stripped the carbs  and found
the bowls to contain a considerable quantity of a white  substance - almost
like that deposited by hard water, but much more  powdery and soft.  The
aircraft has not been flown for some  months while under maintenance.  I have
cleaned out the bowls and  jets (slow running jets completely blocked) and found
no
corrosion, but  no-one appears to be able to help in suggesting where the
white powdery  substance  came from in the first place.  The engine has been
run

on mogas only for the last year.

Any responses and suggestions of cause and future preventitive  measures will
be welcomed.

Patrick  914 G  PUDS

---> White powder is typically aluminum corrosion.  It isn't from the gas
itself,
but merely a product of whatever in the gas is eating the aluminum.

I'm guessing that you've got some water in the gas that is settling out in the
fuel filter (where it should be collecting) and the carb bowls (where it
shouldn't
be).  The water is then corroding the aluminum.

Question, have you checked your mogas supply for alcohol content?

Chris
A159