Europa-List: Handheld GPS recommendations

Subject: Europa-List: Handheld GPS recommendations
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 09:43:51

Sorry about that, hit the send button too soon.

I'm looking for recommendations on a handheld GPS unit, under $500 or so, new or
recent used model, to go into our recently purchased 1946 Cessna 140.

No, we haven't abandoned the Europa project, but this opportunity popped into
our
lap, and since I need tailwheel time and my wonderful wife needs her ticket,
it's a great way to get some time.

Now that our son is almost 3 (which is where all our time has gone for the last
several years), we can start putting more time into the Europa and 'git 'er
done'.
The Cessna will be a nice diversion after a day of building to get the
cobwebs out of the mind.

Fortunately, the airport we are based at (Poplar Grove, IL - C77) has both a J-3
Cub and a 140 available for instruction and rental, so can get my signoff and
10 hours of dual that my insurance requires.  Then I need 10 hours solo before
I carry pax.

As an aside, I took my first tailwheel lesson this past weekend in the J-3.  I
must say it was the most fun I've had with clothes on in a long time.  Warm day,
windows open, grass strip.  That's the way it's supposed to be.  I was pretty
nervous about flying a taildragger, but it was really pretty easy.  The Cub
made me look good, though.  With the instructor up front blocking the few gages
there are, one quickly learns just to listen and feel the plane.

Anyway, thanks for any info on the GPS units!

Chris
A159