Europa-List: Monowheel Up stop, free material!

Subject: Europa-List: Monowheel Up stop, free material!
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 13:39:46

Worked on upstop over the weekend. Executive decision was to attempt to make
stop
strong enough to have a chance of holding the aircraft in event of gear up
or collapse and allow the wheel to rotate.

Ends up we have some custom aluminium extrusion U channel that seems bout
perfect
for the job.

Anyone who may want to install such a stop please contact me.

We cut off 1 end of the channel, so now have a nice L bracket. The part that
contacts
the swingarm is 1/4" thick, made it bout 1.125" wide and the rest is 3/16"
thick, bout 3 1/2" x 4 1/4" and drilled 25 3/8" holes
countersunk on both sides, that will act as 25 composite rivets. The center of
stop hits swingarm just forward of the tire, and the aluminium goes up from
there.
The tunnel will be cut out and the aluminium inserted
and glassed both sides in place. Then a piece of 3/4" birch marine plywood 4
1/4"
tall with 2 large holed cut out and filled with foam will be glassed in place
resting on top of stops. The ends of the ply triangulate
the l bracket, and cross bracing provided should greatly improve overall
strength.

The plywood  is bout half way between the front of the tire and the top of the
shocks, which is resting exact half way between the 1/4" aluminium stops when
the tire is pushed up bout 3/8" up from resting on the up
gate.

I hope I never actual learn if this stop is strong enough.

Ron Parigoris