Re: Europa-List: Bing Carbs

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bing Carbs
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 19:23:34

Not PFA -approved but a standard feature of the 912S on a certain Section S
UK microlights (Pegasus Quik).

That one works by tapping-off a low pressure area in the side of the carb
(i.e. a tapping into the venturi placed through one of the four blind
drillings on the opposite side to the "choke" mechanism). This partial
vacuum is then applied to the vents to the float chambers (i.e. the vents
that are usually connected into the airbox (if the airbox mod. is present)).

The partial vacuum is regulated crudely on the Quik by means of a 1/4-turn
fuel tap (the cheap version supplied by ASS and used on things like
Kitfoxes), which is mounted on the panel. The downstream part of the circuit
has a bleed orifice (a 210 carb jet, which looked to be about 2.1mm bore) to
prevent over application of the vacuum and (probably) to allow the crude
fuel tap to work .

Sort of "playing with fire" if the operator gets it wrong. The advantage
must be quite minimal.

Duncan Mcf.