Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Jabiru as alterantive
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:33:22

>   Hey Fred!
>       Yeah, seems high to me as well, but I'm getting an
honest 172-175 mph
> GPS at 7500 ft with my 125 hp rated EA81

That's more reasonable within the math at that altitude,
Glenn.  Dr. Sighard Hoerner is again motionless in his
grave! ;-)

> and I do not have the slick  underbody fairings
> as on Alex's plane.  When your'e trying to go fast,
> the aero mods can help more than more hp.  Like
> this guy who went 214 mph on 65 hp!
>
> http://www.ar-5.com/sportav93.html
> The Arnold AR-5

A number of aerodynamic mods individually may have to add
up, before meaningful things start to happen.  The main
thing Arnold arguably did was achieve laminar flow back to a
phenomenal 70% of chord, and claims to have proven so by the
usual methods.  Hoerner, in the days before fiberglass, said
55% was pretty good construction methods.  Also mimimal
cooling drag.  He also had a really small prop with a really
big bite in pitch -- not a very practical airplane, but some
say a Cessna 150 ain't either!

Reg,
Fred F.