Re: Europa-List: Mod 70

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mod 70
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:44:33

> My suspicion is that the hours restriction doesnt apply outside
> the UK, but that would leave one hell of an insurance grey
> area in the event of an accident where the part failed and
> had not been replaced within 25 hours.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

No problemo here in U.S.  Our policy wording controls, but I'm sure at
most they say you need only comply with FAA rules for amateur-builts.
Those rules do not require any "mandatory" mod be made, but IF made
and it fits a definition, you must notify FAA in writing.  Failure to
do that could void a policy, as happened in the sort-of landmark
"Avemco case."  Otherwise, FAA rules do not differentiate at all
between self-designed, scratch-builts, or kits.  They now do
differentiate as to Light Sport Aircraft kits, but only if sold that
way.

Reg,
Fred F.