Re: Europa-List: issues with Rotax 914 voltage regulator/rectifier?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: issues with Rotax 914 voltage regulator/rectifier?
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:39:36

> Nigel Charles wrote:
>
> There have been several aircraft with problems with the supplied
regulator.
> Others have managed to run OK for 100's of hours. One point to bear
in mind
> is that, if the earth connection to the case is less than perfect,
higher
> than normal voltages can result. This can damage the battery as well
as the
> regulator.

A poor connection --  pos or ground -- between the regulator and
battery will cause lower voltatge at the battery, not a higher
voltage.  It acts as a current-limiting, series resistance, and a poor
connection of about  2 ohms can be sufficent to cause curent flow into
the battery to substantially cease.  I presume it can cause higher
heat dissipation in a shunt-type regulator like the Rotax, though.
But no more than if a master bus for all your devices is switched off.

Reg,
Fred F.