RE: Europa-List: issues with Rotax 914 voltage regulator/rectifier?

Subject: RE: Europa-List: issues with Rotax 914 voltage regulator/rectifier?
From: nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 05:16:29

There have been several aircraft with problems with the supplied regulator.
Others have managed to run OK for 100's of hours. One point to bear in mind
is that, if the earth connection to the case is less than perfect, higher
than normal voltages can result. This can damage the battery as well as the
regulator. The job of the regulator is made that much harder as there is
no field connection to a permanent magnet generator. This means the regulator
has to handle the whole output from the coils rather than controlling it
directly. On the positive side it means that there are no brushes or slip
rings to wear out. If you wish to protect the battery you may like to consider
using the crowbar overvoltage unit as sold by Bob Nuckolls. Details of this
mod are on the club website.

Nigel Charles

Book yourself something to look forward to in 2005.
Cheap flights - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/flights/
Bargain holidays - http://www.tiscali.co.uk/travel/holidays/