Re: Europa-List: 912S with the Classsic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912S with the Classsic
From: Ron Jones <jronjones@lineone.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:56:48

Hi Troy,
I also have the Bendix type mag/starter switch on my panel but I have used
the spare terminal on the back to isolate one mag during starting. The
switch was, of course, originally made for the "older technology" engines
using traditional mags but that spare terminal does the same job with the
Rotax setup.
Just make up a short lead (about 4" long) and use it to bridge one of the
mag terminals to the spare. I forget which mag (A or B) is timed slightly
later than the other but you can try either mag by just switching the leads
at the connectors near the mags.
I have had no kick-backs in the 150 or so hours since I did the above to my
912S and I have only the original starter with a 14amp.hr. battery!  The
aeroplane stood, on one accasion, for several weeks covered in snow and ice
and STILL started without charging the batt. or using jump-leads!
Do-it to-it  -  I'm sure you'll be glad you did!
Regards,
Ron Jones
(XS/912S, G-RJWX, No.359)