Re: Europa-List: A fat spat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A fat spat
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 09:30:31

> Would it be OK to grind the axle nut (and axle bolt of course) from
its
> current size of about 13mm to say 9? As far as I can see, the nut is
there
> to keep the axle bolt in place and the assembly under the correct
tension to
> stop the wheel from wobbling - it shouldn't need to be as big as it
is.

> Peter
> G-MFHI

I only had to cut off the bolt to achieve a fit in a smallish,
aftermarket fairing I scrounged and modified with glass and matching
polyester resin to make it pretty around the big swivel thingy.  As
far as "thinning" the nut, I'd observe that production A/C of twice
the gross weight use an axle shaft of about 1/2 the diameter of that
monster bolt, and hence a comparatively tiny locknut.

Reg,
Fred F.