RE: Europa-List: A fat spat

Subject: RE: Europa-List: A fat spat
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:23:05

Hi! Peter.
I thinned mine down some for the same reason. However if I recall
correctly the nut is a "nylock" type with a nylon self locking insert,
and to grind it down will likely cook the nylon so I carefully used a
hacksaw. But to ensure a clean cut at the thread I first established at
what length (plus one thread clear to stick through the nut when
tightened)  the bolt needed to be then put it into a vice and hack sawed
to length cleaning it with a file. Then trial fitted the nut(Opposite
end to the nylon) to clear out the start thread of the bolt. Then remove
the nut and hacksaw the nut to the required length making sure the face
is flat and square to the axis.
If it were a nut and bolt without the nylon I'd cut both nut and bolt
together so both threads are cleaned by subsequent removal of the nut.
All IMHO of course!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG  Europa 337 MKI/Jabiru 3300.