RE: Europa-List: S/Steel Classic Exhausts ex Europa

Subject: RE: Europa-List: S/Steel Classic Exhausts ex Europa
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 08:13:55

>I sent you a message a while back, d'ont know if you recieved it,I have
cracking on my port aft manifold, stainless muffler, I would appreaciat
it if you would send me info on repair ect<

I did reply at the time. Sorry that you did not receive it OK.

The info you need is as follows:

The problem was caused by a slight error in the setup of the jig. The
present exhaust manufacturer was not at fault and although they
inherited the problem they have used my exhaust as a prototype to get it
right. However as you are US based it would be easier and cheaper to get
yours fixed locally. As you don't have a jig you will need to use your
engine instead.

If the exhaust fits such that all the manifolds can be positioned snugly
without any loads then it is OK. As yours is cracked it is highly likely
that that it has been caused by stresses pulling the port manifold away
---From its unstressed position. If this is the case proceed as follows:

1. Fit all the exhaust minus the port rear manifold. Make sure all parts
fit without undue stress.
2. Get your local qualified welder to modify the port manifold tube such
that it can be fitted without stress. The cracks on mine occurred around
the joining collar in the manifold. It is probably best to reuse the
existing upstream part and get your welder to remake a piece to join to
the muffler part.
3. If the part is made correctly it should be possible to remove and
refit the manifold without removing the whole exhaust. To do this, after
having removed the exhaust nuts and springs, rotate the manifold and it
should swing away from the engine enough to withdraw it from the
muffler.

As an aside the latest exhaust nuts (which are copper coloured) are
slightly smaller which makes removal and refitting easier. I highly
recommend replacing these anyway as they can work loose if they are
removed and refitted too many times.

Come back to me if you have more questions.

Regards

Nigel Charles