Re: Europa-List: Static connection

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Static connection
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 20:56:13

I too use cockpit static and find it to be as "accurate" as the Factory wing
mounted position. That is, it makes no measurable difference to the
airspeed.

What I have not checked particularly accurately is what difference it makes
to Mode C altitude reporting.

If the static pressure was out by a couple of mph then this would go
unnoticed during ASI 'calibration' but could result in altitude misreporting
of 30' or so, which could be enough to make a marginally acceptable Mode C
set-up unacceptable.

Perhaps someone would like to check my maths on this one. Has anyone tried
placing a sensitive ASI across both statics to see if there is a significant
differential?

Duncan McF.