RE: Europa-List: While on the subject of Europa characteristics

Subject: RE: Europa-List: While on the subject of Europa characteristics
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:48:06

Hi! Jeff.
6 years is a taxing period for I am Senior !!!! I can't really remember
since my PPL was taken in Ormond Beach Florida over 21 days (45 hours
total) when the Europa was 3/4 complete after which I tried to get
Cessna out of my head !(except it's like riding a bike you never
forget!)
For what I remember I don't ever recall "flying the 150 into the ground"
which I repeatedly did with the Europa . On conversion after about 18
months and no solo flying after the 150 but about 25 hours in the P2
seat I bought a PFA conversion 2 day course by an authorised PFA trainer
(the chap is now one of the long haul test pilots for the Airbus 380...
great guy)OVER THE TWO DAYS OF GENERALLY CRAP WEATHER DURING WHICH WE
SHOULD HAVE ABORTED THE EVENT I DID 52 TOTALLY CRAP LANDINGS AND EACH
AND EVERY ONE WAS JUDGED TO HAVE FLOWN INTO THE RUNWAY NOT ALONG IT!
We unhesitatingly agreed that I needed more time but at least that two
days enabled me to put my previous Mentor into the P2 seat and start
over in the P1 seat.
The Europa is very slippery and the ratchet item I mentioned is most
important but it is such a slight change in rearward stick pressure you
only need to think of it to take effect. The point is that if you only
slightly relax your arm the bloody thing starts flying again which is
where you bounce from, and the pressing of your elbow to the a/c side
helps you recognise the pressure and also serves to stop Pilot Induced
Oscillation !
I only then needed about 4 hours with the Mentor in the P2 seat after
which the Instructor came back and after two landings he was OK about
me.
There's no way as a novice I would have survived without the two guys
helping me and even now after 600 hours I loath dead stick landings ...
much prefer to just give the throttle a blip and let the prop. be the
settling factor, but of course you need to be prepared for the "donkey
stopped" scenario!
Regards
Bob H G-PTAG