Re: Europa-List: While on the subject of Europa characteristics

Subject: Re: Europa-List: While on the subject of Europa characteristics
From: Cliff Shaw <flyinggpa@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:38:39

Jeff

I guess I qualify to comment on this question.
I started with "Wile E. Coyote"  N229WC as a monowheel. I had the first 15
hours put on my Bob Jacobsen and John Hurst.  John gave me 10 hours in
Lakeland in his demonstrator so I was "qualified" for my insurance to fly my
own plane. I made my first landing perfectly. and the 8th one was good too.
In hind sight, I was not getting the plane slow enough when I put it on the
runway. I bounced.  At 22 hours I broke the prop and the wife suggested I
"do something" to fix the problem.
Now N22WC is a trike and a "pussycat" to land. It is just as easy to land as
a 152. (a little different due to the low wings)  I should have just built
it right the first time  :(

Really, I put down full flaps just before turning Base and back off on the
power, trim for 80MPH, and use the throttle to fly to the fence. Then slow
to 60 MPH and hold it off till it lands. Rather basic approach.  The plane
will land at any speed and the only problem I have had is trying to put it
down too fast (hard) . It is best to just fly it on. It would be hard to
goof a landing up (compared to the mono that must nearly stall to land)

I hope that helps. These are my thought anyway !

Cliff Shaw
1041 Euclid ave.
Edmonds, WA 98020
425 776 5555
http://www.europaowners.org/WileE

Rain forecast for a day or two, no flying  :(