Re: Europa-List: IFR redundancy, was 2nd battery

Subject: Re: Europa-List: IFR redundancy, was 2nd battery
From: Jos Okhuijsen <josoke@ukolo.fi>
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 18:13:51

Nice, back to MTBF again :-) Reminds me of the one of the first
discussions i had on this forum, even before i was a builder.

Business: MTBF (mean time between failure) is a theoretical, calculated
figure. To keep it simple, it's not too far off to call it the total of
all the parts MTBF's Every part used in electronics, has a more or less
public MTBF. For a normal 5 cents diode it could be something like 10
million years...
Of course this is if it is used within specs. Lighning EMR is not in spec
:-)
The point however was and is, that alhough i spent a good part of my life
repairing electronics, and another good part in preventing electronics
 from needing repair, i am still convinced that electronics are way more
reliable then steam or vacuum engines:-)

Regards,

Jos Okhuijsen