Re: Europa-List: IFR redundancy, was 2nd battery

Subject: Re: Europa-List: IFR redundancy, was 2nd battery
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 10:30:47

>> For IFR, and an EFIS w/o mechanical redundancy, I have an
>> opinion some may not want to hear!
>
> Ok, I'll take the bait. I would have the Truetracks pictorial pilot
addon
> on the autopilot or a 2nd efis and we were allready agreeing on the
2nd
> battery generator eh?
>
> Regards,
> Jos Okhuijsen

Ducking the opinion part, interestingly for a production aircraft in
the U.S., it ain't that easy, even if FAA-approved electronic boxes.
There's an Advisory Circular which says you prove the failure
probability, with specified statistical math to use, of a fatality in
IFR caused by dual/complete failure.  Or...slap a mechanical horizon
gyro somewhere on that pretty panel, and refer to the section on the
much simpler math.  When I read something like that, I envision that
error MsgBox... "Windows...is shutting down."  :-)

I don't even think the airframe mfrs mind this at all, because in a
product liability suit, having a mechanical, redundant backup is the
clearest way to explain total failure odds to a jury who knows that
all electronic things go blooey sometimes even on second use, but
their KitchenAid mixer of 20 years still works just fine.

Reg,
Fred F.