Europa-List: Re: Sourcing a 24V battery

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Sourcing a 24V battery
From: Jim Butcher <europa@triton.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:17:13

Nigel,

When I looked at this I talked to Tim at B&C.  Their advice was to just use
two small 12V batteries in series.  The cell to cell resistance is about the
same as the jumper will be.  In fact their small 24 batt is exactly that, 2
12V in series.  I also concluded that the starter would be OK on 24V since
it is (should be) so intermittent.  I went back to the 12V system since I
already own a heated 12V pitot which I found can't be modified or replaced
cheaply.  I do have dual alternators, the second one being a 40 Amp running
off the crankshaft similar to Jim Nelson's.

Jim Butcher A185