Re: Europa-List: Carb Icing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb Icing
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:45:59

> From what I have been told the Skydrive is difficult to fit and really
> requires a hydraulic press to force the heater unit inside the carb body. I
> wonder how many have been split/ damaged in the process.
>
> Does anybody know if Skydrive offer a fitting service. I would be concerned
> that I might be picking up the cost for a new carb unit if anything went
> wrong.

I came to the same conclusion as the carbs were definitely not round enough
to even hold the heater on a thou or two while being put into the vice. In
the end, rather than risk a 400 or more carb (or two !) I sent them back to
SkyDrive and they fitted them for 15. OK the postage added another 30 but
I considered it money well spent !

In fact my recommendation is that you take your carbs off and send them to
SkyDrive and order the heaters and their fitting at the same time. That way
you don't pay for an extra leg of the journey for the heaters. I am sure it
only took them 15 minutes and I am sure you could go there and have it done.
If I had realised how expensive the postage was (18 from me to them) I
would have driven up there !

Like many things someone who has done 50 such pressings will be more aware
of the limitations and the level of force required. I didn't, so it was
worth the extra 50.

Draining the water system is trivial. Take off Air filter (you would have to
do that anyway to get the carbs off). Take off water filler cap. Put bowl
underneath bungey. Be ready to move bowl. Use Stanley knife to cut the pipe
at the back of the engine just below the flywheel cover (and THAT is an over
description of a flimsy bit of plastic that does not keep water out of the
flywheel housing !). Make a decisive cut. Water p*sses out, into bowl which
you move to catch as much as possible to avoid having to clean it up off the
floor. (You won't be re-using it !)

After inserting the t-pieces and replacement of the heater connected carbs,
fill up the water and bleed the pipe between the heaters as specified in the
instructions. And Bob is your mother's brother !

:-)

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                        email : richard.holder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)