Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 22:17:09

For what you're looking for, go to:
http://www.calamander.co.uk/twinmax/twinmaxmk2.htm
which is a differential gauge that looks at both carbs simultaneously. Made
in France and a  bit expensive. I've no idea how well it works.

Personally I've used a manometer that has a stainless steel rod in each arm,
instead of mercury. Much safer, but doesn't work as well, is sensitive to
dust making the rods stick slightly and needs to be held accurately upright.
Details at
http://www.carbtune.com/
But it was cheap!

Quirks of  the engine seem to preclude being able to balance the carbs
across the rev. range; another compromise needed. However, if tickover speed
is to be low enough to land into short strips, the balance needs to be good
at idle speed.
I've got no further with finding out what it is that causes the variation of
balance; it may be tolerances in the pressed steel throttle arm and the way
it is tightened on to the throttle spindle; I'll explain further if you
haven't nodded off at this point.

Duncan McF.