Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Carb balancing - Differential presure gauage ?
From: Roger Anderson <randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 12:25:38

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul McAllister" <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
> I was wondering if this could be done with a single gauge that has a
center zero and maybe 5 ~ 10 psi either side.  I haven't tired to locate
such a gauge but I shouldn't think it would be too hard to find one.

Paul,
    I balance my carbs from time to time using a home made water manometer.
It comprises a length of tubing (that was originally supplied for the
instruments) into which I put about a metre of water. I disconnect the
balance tube between the manifolds and connect the tube between the open
ends. I attach the tube to a solid support alongside the aircraft and
visible from the cockpit such that there is at least a metre of empty  tube
each side above the water level. I then run the engine and adjust the cable
lengths to achieve the best compromise of balance throughout the range.
    If the imbalance is such that the water gets sucked/blown out you get a
puff of steam from the exhaust and have to start again - possibly with a
longer tube!
    It is interesting to note that rapid movements of the throttle always
cause an initial imbalance but that this rapidly subsides - a good reason
for being gentle with the throttle.
        Roger (G-BXTD)