RE: Europa-List: Squeezing solid rivets

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Squeezing solid rivets
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 07:21:09

>Is there a way to squeeze these rivets without buying a rivet squeezer?
A bench vice, perhaps? A rivet squeezer runs for about $130 which seems
hardly worth it considering the small number of rivets, and I don't know
anyone who owns one of these to borrow from. Having gotten used to the
pop rivets, I was surprised to find these rivets in the kit. Any advice
is appreciated.<

I found that I got good results using the following technique:

Use an appropriate sized drill to drill a shallow hollow in the top of a
flat area on your bench vice.
Place the assembly head down so that the rivet head is supported in the
hollow.
Carefully hammer the rivet until the desired grip is achieved.

Nigel Charles