RE: Europa-List: Autopilot Advice

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Autopilot Advice
From: Alan Burrows <alan@kestrelinsurance.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:00:33

I whole heartily agree with that. As an IMC rated pilot(not full
instrument rated) I am able to fly in IMC conditions with relative ease,
when hand flying, trying to stay ahead of where I am going, dealing with
ATC and then studying the approach plates add to that a bit of good old
fashioned turbulence and you can image things get a little busy. For me
the purpose of an autopilot is to ease the workload and free up some
space in my limited brain capacity, thus making the whole process less
stressful, so the 180 option, whilst not particularly important to me,
could potentially be dangerous if it leads a VFR pilot to be over
confident where IMC conditions prevail. There is no electronic or
mechanical substitute for actually getting practice in IMC conditions
with a suitably qualified person on board of course.

Alan