Re: Europa-List: It's not easy when you're stupid

Subject: Re: Europa-List: It's not easy when you're stupid
From: Duncan McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:00:16

The vent needs to be forward facing in order that that the tank and fuel
supply benefit from a small amount of pressurisation. This is equivalent to
only 2' head of fuel at 150mph, but enough to overcome the head losses
between the bottom of the tank and the inlet to the backup fuel pump, so is
significant given that pumps have little ability to suck and any suction is
bad for inhibiting vapour locking.
Who knows what the pressure in the tank will be if the vent is otherwise
sited below the fus. aft of the cockpit.
Certainly, if the aft-positioned fuel cap is left off a Europa during flight
then there is enough suction in the area of the open filler and therefore
the tank be able to pull all of the fuel out of the sight gauge.
Could be quite an interesting challenge to prevent an underside
forward-facing vent from blocking!

Duncan Mcf.