Europa-List: question about alodining

Subject: Europa-List: question about alodining
From: Myron Haluschak <myron.haluschak@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 18:31:36

Hello all:

Just a quick comment about this subject:

While building a Murphy Rebel (floatplane) many said that corrosion protection
is not really needed. It would literally take decades to create structural
damage,
unless salt or extreme conditions prevailed.
Owning a few Cessna floatplanes and having a chance to get "inside" surprised me
that Cessna took minimal precautions in this area, and these planes had already
been around for many years on floats.

A thorough annual, as mentioned, should monitor this.

On my Rebel, I did however use a product put out by Stitts (?) called TubeSeal,
and it is designed specifically to coat the inside of tubes that are permanently
sealed. I also took extra epoxy chromate and sprayed my joints and exposed
surfaces.
To date no corrosion, as told to me by the present owner, and it is exclusively
on floats fulltime.
I agree with the idea that unless it is subject to such extreme conditions, it
would not be needed in the cockpit area. I am sure I overdid it on the Rebel.
A symptom of a first time builder.

Myron A046 Fighting Falcon