SV: Europa-List: Results of Landing Light Survey 2004

Subject: SV: Europa-List: Results of Landing Light Survey 2004
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 19:32:44

Ira,

I am another one with no practical experience (yet) with landing light, but:

After we discussed this issue at the workshop in Lakeland in June 2001, you
pointed me in the direction of the Boom Beam xenon lamp from LoPresti
(www.speedmods.com).  I actually purchased this lamp. The Bonanza version
was recommended to me (LMS-500-006) and with intermediate spreading of the
light (best for traffic pattern visibility).  It is very expensive, but
gives fantastic light - 500,000 candle power at only 3 amps (abt 8 amps when
you switch it on, but falls to permanent low current drain in 5 seconds).  I
have not installed it yet, but I think it will be placed on the centerline
in the front of the lower cowling, just above the radiator/oil cooler air
inlet, partly recessed into the cowling under the spinner, housed in a
fairing made of epoxy and bid.

I have just measured the surface temperature on the hottest spot of the
reflector (where it connects with the glass lens) after having had the lamp
switched on in my workshop for a while - 175 degr. F / 80 degr. C.  The
in-use temperature will be lower since the air flow on the lens will provide
some cooling also of the connecting reflector.  I don't think this will
cause a problem, even if I use epoxy and not polyester (according to Andy,
using epoxy to enlarge the bulge in the cowling under the muffler for better
clearance - 10 mm - is no problem in spite of the muffler's high temp).

Fyg, the max diameter of the Boom Beam lamp is 4 1/2 inch (115 mm), depth 4
inches (102 mm), depth to rim of lens 3 1/4 inch (83 mm).

You mention that you may mount a lamp in the nose gear wheel pant.  Have you
figured out a way to do this while still having the nose wheel fully
pivoting ( n times 360 degr), or will you restrict its rotation?

Seasons Greetings,

Svein
A225 - XS trigear - now in Norway