Re: Europa-List: Mass Balance Arm failure

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Mass Balance Arm failure
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 12:45:39

>The mass balance arm rod end you mention that failed and is now the
>attention of a mandated fix

Tony - I did not say there was a mandated fix; I said that I expected
a fix would be forthcoming.

>Can you elaborate exactly where it failed, if
>you know, and what was the apparent reason?

I quote (again) the full entry from the SIDD Occurence Listing:

Europa / Rotax 900 / Taxy / White Waltham / 03/08/2004 200405964
AAIB Initial notification: Mass balance arm rod end failed during taxi.

I received it printed on paper through the post along with the GASIL
& GASCO newsletters. On the cover of the SIDD Occurrence Listing are
the contact details:

Safety Investigation & Data Department
CAA
Aviation House
Gatwick Airport
W Sussex
RH6 0YR

tel 01293 573220
fax 01293 573972
telex 878753
email sdd@srg.caa.org.uk

There is no information at this time on the AAIB website about this incident.

I want to make it clear that I was not meaning to cause a panic by my
original posting, merely to let people know of a possible problem
that is likely to be more easily dealt with before the fuselage top
goes on.

regards

Rowland