Europa-List: Bonding CS14 Brackets to Fuselage sides

Subject: Europa-List: Bonding CS14 Brackets to Fuselage sides
From: EuropaXSA276@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:50:26

A Texas Howdy Gents:
Now that the module is bonded in, it's time to reinforce the CS14 Brackets to
the outer fuselage sides.

Looking at a few photos on other builder sites I have noted that many have
scuff sanded the fuselage sides and completely remove the outer gelcoat layer.

< Note that a few have just scuff sanded the outer gelcoat layer, leaving it
intact>

 My  manual does not mention anything about completely removing the gelcoat.

I was wondering if the thought is that the gelcoat may release and cause
failure at the bond? Therefore it should be completely removed to have a
composite

to composite adhesion?

And if that is true would the same apply to the fire retardant phenolic
coating on the firewall at time of tunnel reinforcement? < The next step in this

chapter.>

Your thoughts on the subject please?

Thanks in advance!

Brian S