Re: Europa-List: Wanted: written-off XS wing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wanted: written-off XS wing
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 22:57:55

Hi!

I looked at fitting a Landing or ID lamp in my Trigear.

I've tried Whelan ID Lamp (35W), Hella Daylight HID Car Daylight running
lights (6W) and eventually purchased a pair of 75W 2.5" Halogen Units from
Lancair.

The final choice is to fit one of the Lancair Units in lower Engine Cowling
but with a cool white 18 LED replacement Bulb in MR16 fitment style and will
use it just as a circuit ID light. It works well and is enough to attract
attention easily and enhances my 2 Strobes.

So... The 75W Unit was VERY hot in operation! and very quickly in its turned
Aluminium Housing. Far too hot to handle. It would need ventilation or could
be adapted to tilt down into airstream in a hinged operation. The positive
was the light output. About 15 degree cone with great range. Well designed
for true Landing lights.

This is not a scientific observation but common sense based on heat output
at 75W in a composite construction confined space.

My spare Light Unit is en route to another Europa Builder who has some other
ideas on fitment.

Regards

Gerry

Europa 384 G-FIZY
Trigear with Rotax 912 and Arplast CS Prop.
Dynon EFIS, KMD 150, Icom A-200 and SL70 Transponder.
PSS AoA Fitted.

http://www.g-fizy.com
Mobile: +44 7808 402404
WebFax: +44 870 7059985