Re: Europa-List: Wanted: written-off XS wing

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wanted: written-off XS wing
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:52:08

on 11/1/04 12:48 PM, Duncan McFadyean at ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk
wrote:

> <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
>
> Skycraft had a written off XS Europa recently; don't know what state the
> wings were in. I registered an interest in these, but never heard back from
> them.
>
> Presumably you're trying to answer the PFA's standard question in relation
> to fitting landing lights (i.e. will they overheat if left on
> inadvertently).

CreativAir...which is currently marketing LED wingtip position lights in
combination w/ a 75w Halogen landing light posts the following note on its
website:

> Thursday July 8, 2004
>  HID LAMP Update... In looking at the HIDs I got in for testing I am not
> sure they will work at this time... I feel they may be too fragile for
> aircraft use and am going to have to look in another direction... More info
> will be available on this site as I have it... Thanks...

Presumably, their efforts to substitute HID for the Halogen stem from a
desire for good light w/ reduced power and heat.

said that they have no test data in this regard.

---From other sources, I'm told that the 75w Halogen bulb throws 75% of its
heat out the back of the bulb which, in the CreativAir installation, allows
that heat to move into the cavity of the wingtip (which in turn is open to
the cavity of the wing itself aft of the main spar)

I have no idea with regard to whether heat buildup either under normal
operating conditions or in the event the lights were left on inadventantly
for an extended period would become an issue, though I am considering
running extra wiring so that a thermostat could be installed to monitor
internal wing temperatures.

Fred
A194