Re: Europa-List: Wingtip lighting covers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wingtip lighting covers
From: Fred R. Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:51:45

on 10/31/04 11:16 AM, Dan Bish at N914RB@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hi Fred,
>
> I'll want a set if I don't get those that are available from Dean. Looks
> like he has a buyer but maybe not. I'll let you know as soon as I know
> something. How much are they by the way?
>
> I wanted some info on the brand and type of light you're planning for the
> rear position/strobe light if you don't mind.
>
> Thanks and happy building!
>
> Dan
> Kit A144 - N914RB

Hi Dan,

Happy to oblige. Thanks for your interest!

Before I make a "run" of light covers, I want to experiment a bit more re:
material thickness; my first ones were made w/ .090, and I want to try some
at .125 inch polycarbonate.

With regard to probable costs, I've got some sorting out to do as to the
money I've spent on the molding, materials, and some consulting I've paid to
an experienced plastics guy; there will also be some production costs for
access to a really slick thermo-vacuum machine. I freely give my time...the
better part of three weeks...which it took to develop the tooling, but I
hope to recoup my out of pocket costs by selling a few sets of covers to
fellow-Europa builders. I expect to be set up soon to make a 16-set run.

With regard to my rear position/strobe light, I'm grateful to Paul
McCallister for his photos of March 30, 2003 which you can click to from his
website: http://europa363.versadev.com/default.htm. My intention is to make
this sort of install using a Whelan A500A-14 (vertical) which is available
at Van's for $125.00.

I'll put you on my list for the wingtip lighting covers!

Fred
A194