Europa-List: W18 installation

Subject: Europa-List: W18 installation
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:48:02

I am cutting the slots for the W18 plates in the wings. These will be
used to mount the flaps. The manual says to cut slots for such that the
W18 will butt the rear close-outs. This is the part that is confusing
me. The rear close-out joins the lower surface of the wing, travels
about 1/2" rearwards before curving upwards. Which part of the rear
closeout should the W18 butt against? If the slot only extends as far
as where the rear closeout joins the wing, then the W18 will not be
flush against the curved upward surface of the closeout. I could extend
the slot and make the W18 flush against the curved upward surface, but
being curved, there are many ways to orient the W18 in the slot, and
only one point will be flush against the W18, not the entire surface.
Furthermore, the width of the joggles in the middle two ribs seem to
indicate that the slots should only extend as far as where the closeout
joins the wing. This part of the manual is not clear at all. Am I
sweating the details too much? Any ideas would be appreciated.