Re: Europa-List: Fuses, (Fast, Slow or Fat), CB's or Fusible Links ???

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fuses, (Fast, Slow or Fat), CB's or Fusible Links ???
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:23:12

Cliff,

Apologies for being so long winded in replying.  My comments embedded below.

> I ran across this information a while back.
> http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/docs/aircraftwiring.doc
> I would recommend you read it and reconsider the "old fashion" wiring plan
> you are considering.

I have read this document and also seriously considered the Exp Bus quite
some time back.  I am not vehemently opposed to the idea but there were a
few reasons I decided not to go that way not the least of which was that if
it ever died for some reason, I would have to return it to the US and have
nothing in the meantime.  Not  to mention the cost of sending it back.  I
therefore feel more comfortable doing it the 'old fashioned' way because if
anything goes wrong, I will hopefully be able to fix it.

> The Rotax 912 is so simple and straight foreword there
> is no good reason to make it too complicated. The Europa wiring diagram is
> very well thought out.

True Cliff.  My main concern with the Europa circuit diagram was that it had
no battery contactor and in the event of the starter contactor remaining
closed for any reason, there was no way to stop the propeller flying around
until the battery was flat.  I also learned of the recommended Europa Club
mod for the Crowbar OV protection and when I read the Aeroelectric
Connection, I found that Figure Z-16 was essentially the same as the Europa
Circuit and included the battery contactor and OV module.  Hence my decision
to adopt it.

Confession.  To save confusion for anybody familiar with Z-16 in my original
post, I said I wanted a fuse for the feed to the Endurance Bus.  Truth is, I
am not having an Endurance Bus and I want the fuse to feed the Main Bus.  I
am substituting a small Battery Bus in lieu of the Endurance Bus.

The basic Z-16 circuit with my small modification is not rocket science
mate.

> Your are not building an airliner.

Not so sure about this Cliff.  With the amount of time I have spent on it
now I'm starting to wonder !

> Just my advice, worth what you paid  (at least that much)   :)

Yes Cliff, happy to say I can afford what I paid too !  Much appreciated.

Now can somebody tell me what sort of fuse or CB to use please ?  Hasn't
anybody else used fuses in the main power distribution as per the Europa
diagram ?

Cheers
Kingsley
Mono Classic (Classic Mono?) 281 in Oz.

PS  Within 6 hours of posting my plea, I discovered an article by Bob
Nuckolls that explained the difference between Current Limiters and Fat
Fuses.  Makes me feel better now I realise there must have been others
confused too about these devices.
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/anl/anlvsjjs.html