Europa-List: Fuses, (Fast, Slow or Fat), CB's or Fusible Links ???

Subject: Europa-List: Fuses, (Fast, Slow or Fat), CB's or Fusible Links ???
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:35:48

All,

I have a plain vanilla 912 Engine.

I wish to incorporate OV protection and a Battery Contactor and some other
ideas of Bob Nuckolls so I have decided to adopt the Z-16 diagram in the
Aeroelectric Connection.

Notwithstanding this, I also want to include fused protection from each side
of the battery contactor to the main and endurance buses and also possibly
for the alternator output.

Without explaining why, I have decided I would like to protect these three
items with fuses (probably slow blow 25A?  30A?) and preferably a type with
lugs that are located on a stud on the fuse holder and retained with locking
nuts.  Maybe I need ANL current limiters but I don't fully understand how
they work.  Okay, I realise they obviously limit the current but I don't
understand what they require to go open circuit or if in fact they even do.
The 'connection' on one hand seems to use the terms 'cartridge fuses' and
'current limiters' interchangably and in other places seems to infer they
are different.  Then somebody throws in the 'Fat' fuses and methinks, is
this just another name for the forgoing or something else again ?   SO,
after going around and around in ever decreasing circles so many times now
that I have almost ended up my own you know where, I want somebody to please
tell me what I need and where I can get them.

Please take me by the hand, lead me to the place so that all I have to do is
bring the money . . . . . Oh, and tell me where I can see some pics too.

Unfortunatley, I don't live in a place where I can go and have a look around
and in a lot of cases, I seem to have trouble finding web sites that have
good pictures of their wares.

Finally, I am not opposed to Circuit Breakers but my criteria is that
whatever is used, it must be able to be firmly mounted, have good solid
connections for the wires and be suitable for the engine side of the
firewall.  That's all I want !  Simple hey ?

Cheers all
Kingsley