RE: Europa-List: GPS problem

Subject: RE: Europa-List: GPS problem
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 08:02:08

I have the KMD150 as well and have the aerial just above it on top of
the instrument panel. Mine has worked fine without any interference. I
think it highly likely that the interference suffered is due to the way
the panel has been wired. When the distances between sensitive equipment
are small the layout and screening of the wires are critical to avoid
problems. In my case the radio is separated from the GPS by the uMonitor
which probably helps to reduce interference.

Relocating the aerial is probably the easiest and quickest way to
overcome the problem in this case. However for those still building,
provided that the wiring is done carefully and the radio is not
immediately adjacent to the GPS, the aerial can be placed on top of the
panel. This has the advantage of reduced wiring length and is one less
connection between the panel and airframe.

Nigel Charles