Re: Europa-List: GPS problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: GPS problem
From: Terry Seaver <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:48:13

Hi David,

We have the Skymap IIIC, and had our antenna located at the top of the
instrument panel, above the radio equipment.  During the build phase I
tested the GPS to make sure the antenna was happy looking up thru the
top of the panel, and it was.
During the test phase the GPS operation was intermittent, with marginal
reception (weak signal strength).  We moved the antenna, first just
sitting on top of the panel, where it still had problems (even with the
radio/xponder off).  We finally relocated the GPS antenna into the
overhead console area, where it has been fine since.  Note that it is
still inside the cockpit, looking up thru the top of the fuselage.  For
some reason it does not like being located just above the contents of
the instrument panel (worked fine when there was nothing else in the panel).

regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD