Europa-List: Jabiru Support for Europa -- was: Firewall Forward-less

Subject: Europa-List: Jabiru Support for Europa -- was: Firewall Forward-less
From: Bruce <bruce@justbruce.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:53:00

(like all my e-mails, a bit long)

Hey Andy
(Andy Silvester -- Suncoast Sportplanes -- Jabiru Dealer in
U.S.)

We welcome your participation in the Europa-List.

In a previous e-mail, you mentioned that another Jabiru 3300
installation had been accomplished in a Europa. Perhaps like
other Europa builders, I anxiously look forward to
evaluating realistic alternatives to the Rotax powerplants
that have been promoted by Europa.   I know that Europa
evaluated a number of powerplants back in the early days,
and that none of the alternatives including rotary,
motorcycle, and Subaru powerplants were ever supported by
the factory.  Later on, the Jabiru engine and firewall
forward kit became available, but Europa never endorsed,
sold or supported the Jabiru alternative.  Perhaps Europa
hesitated to endorse a powerplant vendor who could also be
considered an airframe competitor.

Where we stand today is that Europa is not currently selling
Rotax firewall forward kits anywhere in the world.  The time
is ripe for you to let us know why Jabiru should be our
choice for powerplants. Many builders have an immediate need
and others like me are still building and won't need
powerplants for at least a year, but would like to decide on
a powerplant soon so we can incorporate any unique
construction requirements.

The challenge that we as potential purchasers have, and you
as Jabiru distributors can assist us with, is the lack of
information that can be used to compare the various power
plants that are realistic options.  I define realistic
options as those power plants that:
1.        are available as a complete firewall forward kit
2.        are supported locally by factory authorized dealers
3.        have successfully been installed in Europas
4.        have Europa-based performance information available
that is based on real-life experiences
5.        provide satisfactory performance in terms of fuel
consumption, and speed

Questions for today:  Perhaps you or the other Jabiru
distributors around the world will respond?
1.        How many Jabiru 3300s have been sold?
2.        How many Jabiru powerplants have been sold and
installed in non-Jabiru airframes.
3.        How many Jabirus 3300s have been installed in
Europas?
4.        Are there any non-Jabiru airframes (i.e.: Zenith,
Sonex, Glastar, etc) where builders have been particularly
receptive to installing Jabirus 3300s.   In particular I'd
like to know why they choose the Jabiru over the Rotax
alternatives, especially in airframes that have similar
characteristics and missions as the Europa.
5.        Tell us about the dealer/distributor network.  In
particular I want to know about those in North America, but
perhaps Jabiru dealers outside of North America will respond
and let us know what territories they manage.  I'm curious
as to how long the dealers have been in business, what kind
of support and in-house service they can offer us, do the
dealers have protected territories (or can we deal with any
of them), and whether the dealers are committed to working
full time for Jabiru, or is it a part-time business for
them.
6.    What are the fuel requirements for the Jabiru?  I know
this can get complicated as motor fuel differs in each state
and country.  Jabiru specifies 95 RON octane which is 91 CLC
(or Pump Octane) in North America.  Here in California it is
even more screwed up because the U.S. government has
mandated that ethanol be added to all grades of motor fuel
year-round.

(Note: additional questions related to performance, fuel
consumption, installation, prop flange design, prop weight,
firewall kit contents, and access questions will follow
another day)

Thanks in advance for your response.

Regards,

Bruce