Europa-List: Wobbly Wing Movement

Subject: Europa-List: Wobbly Wing Movement
From: Tony Bale <tony.bale@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:22:37

Greetings one and all,

        We had our inspection on XS  336 last week, all went pretty well with
one
exception. The left wing demonstrated 5 -10mm of forward / aft movement at
the tip. Our inspector was unhappy with this (as to were we). After
investigation
with the PFA and we spoke to Europa, it was confirmed this was a pretty serious
issue, not previously come across, and needs rectification. We de-rigged
the wings and inspected the left wing pip-pin locking /  location mechanism.

We found the barrel W26C which is loctited to W26B Socket housing which rotates
(slightly) in W26A body, had, we believe, been manufactured undersize (yet to
be confirmed but looks pretty certain). Although this is probably only 2 or 3
thou' max, at the wing tip you get a dramatic movement and a clunk.

I hope its just us, but for all you builders putting together the wing mounting
/ pip pin locking mechanism, I suggest a good check is required. For my own
interest, I would be keen to here of other occurances / findings.

Also had the old girl weighed Friday, monowheel 912S with 24 A/H battery, metal
tie downs, big fire extinguisher, pretty full panel, unuseable fuel, full oil,
vacuum system, weight 803 LB.(as measured by Plane Weights).

Look forward to feedback

Tony.