Europa-List: Re: Jabiru 3300 Engine Option

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Jabiru 3300 Engine Option
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 18:10:00

Andrew,

I'd say it depends on what your primary use for the Europa will be and
where you will be using it.

I purchased the ROTAX 914 because I plan to use my aircraft as a
cross-country cruiser and I plan on flying in to and (hopefully) out of
airports in the western states where field elevations can be around
8,000 feet and higher.  So for high-altitude, high-efficiency, cruise
and high airports the turbo is the only way to go.  It (any ROTAX) is
also the closest thing to "stick it on and fly" available out there
today.  Lots and lots of them flying in Europas today.  Most of the
bugs are worked out.  But, still not without a fair bit of work and
tuning involved.

If you are only flying the coasts and moderate altitudes inland, then
either a ROTAX 912S or the Jabiru 3300 would be just jim dandy.

If you are just looking for a self-launching sailplane and aren't
interested in cross-country cruising, consider a ROTAX 912 or Jabiru
2200.

I actually saw the Jabiru 3300 earlier this year at the SWRFI.  It is
an absolute jewell of an engine.  I'm serious, it looked like a work of
art.  I have not seen a Europa installation and have no idea how it
works there.  I think there have been various postings in the past on
the pros and cons.  You ought to try a search of the forum for some
background.

As for one of the diesel engines...  Lots of potential for economy.
They operate at low, airplane engine, rpm so no PSRU's.  Low
flammability fuel.  Many excellent attributes.  Also heavy and stinky
and there are darn few flying these days.  So, you better be ready to
have most, if not all, of the first installation headaches.  Remember,
you can always tell the pioneers by all the arrows sticking in their
backs.  Seriously consider sticking with a tried and true
engine/airframe combination.

Recently, like post EMIL failure, when I talk to folks thinking about
buying a kit, I strongly recommend they escrow the funds and release
them only after the necessary bits and pieces are delivered.  Consider
that when it comes time to lay out many tens of thousands of dollars
for a FWF installation.  I didn't get bit as bad as others have, but
I'm still out about $7-8k worth of undelivered bits and pieces.  Most
of that in the Airmaster C/S prop & controller and the trailer.  But
still owed the plexi, 2nd alternator and interior kit as well.

Just a few of my thoughts on your questions.  I'm sure others will have
their own 2-bits to add.  I hope I haven't confused you too badly ;-)

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, 914, Airmaster C/S
http://forum.okhuijsen.org/N914XL
(75%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in,
Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar
in, flap drive in. Working in - 24 Instrument Panel, 25 Electrical, 27
Setting Wings, 28 Flaps, 29 Main Gear, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door
Latches & 35 Doors, 37 Finishing.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123