Re: Europa-List: Propellers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Propellers
From: Christine and Peter Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:37:36

Hello Remi:

     My experience with the Airmaster has been excellent so far. It is
attached to an early 912 S and propeled my Classic Europa for 140 hours out
of the 238 hrs total time. We fly at 5100 rpm in cruise, which gives us 140
knots in level flight. Vibrations were only encountered early on with the
original ground adjustable Warp Drive and turned out to be caused by a
wobbly spinner. In August/Sept. of last year we flew from the Pacific Coast
in British Columbia to Nova Scotia on the Atlantic and back, a total of
10,000 km, with never a problem. Fuel consumption on this trip averaged 20L
an hour, which means of course, that for fuel efficiency one must retard the
throttle. Thomas Scherer would be the expert for this, since he flew nearly
20 hrs non-stop from the Aleutians to Japan with the Airmaster prop.
cruising at 4000 rpm and 100 knots.

I particularly like the braking effect in the circuit with the prop. set at
fine pitch. I neglected to do this once or twice and the difference was very
obvious. Rain has no effect on the blades. Maintenance is easy, requiring
dismantling, cleaning and re-greasing of the hub and blades every 50 hrs .
Everybody having seen the internal workings of the Airmaster is very
impressed by the quality of the product. The price is higher than most, but
you get what you pay for, like with most things. I would recommend it.

Regards, Peter Timm
Builder # 110
Classic, Mono, 912 S, Airmaster
238 hrs., flying since Dec. 2001
nothing comes close to a Europa with regard to utility, speed, economy,
handling and sheer fun to fly!

--
Cheers,
Chris