Re: Europa-List: Cockpit module goes in next weekend!

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Cockpit module goes in next weekend!
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 11:39:34

Brian S. wrote:
> They also used about 120 #8 X 1/2 sheet metal screws to pull this
thing
> together.  That's a lot!
> Someone mentioned a lot of dimpling from the screws after cure?
Anyone have a
> fix for that?

There will be good dimpling in some places if you glomp down the
screws enough, but I don't see what's achieved structurally.  If a
line of fasteners gently snugged didn't cause a section of flange to
fit tighter and push enough glue out to be worth it, I just stopped.
I used 1/8" aluminum pop rivets, but gently squeezed and resqueezed
only enough to see it accomplishing anything or not, and w/o breaking
the mandrel.  After cure, drive the mandrels inside the cabin, then
drill off the head and pull the rivets out from the inside.  1/2" or
5/8" long rivets made it easy to extract.  I used only about 30
rivets, but recall many of those did nothing but provide a dimple to
put some SuperFill for the pure fun of it!

Reg,
Fred F.