RE: Europa-List: Cockpit module goes in next weekend!

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Cockpit module goes in next weekend!
From: Jeremy Davey <EuropaFlyer3@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 15:48:11

Brian,

Having just done this the other week, a few suggestions:

1) Mix well more than 600g - I'd suggest over 1kg - and be prepared to throw
lots away after you've scraped round. The more you throw away, the less it
weights... :-) The more you pile on to begin with, the less voids you get.
2) Weights and straps should be about all you need - I did some rivets and
screws and have a number of dimples. So instead of weight inside fuse where
the big gaps are, I'll have it outside instead, in the form of filler. And
that means more work.
3) Screws will release OK - particularly if dipped in wax or petroleum jelly
as release agent before use
4) Move quickly - as quickly as you can without being hasty. That stuff goes
off quick.
5) Paint the CM with neat Araldite. Pile the Araldite+flox onto the bonding
areas you've previously marked on the canoe. Prop the canoe slightly open
while you lower the CM in. Add weights, fill gaps, then scrape and wipe with
an acetone rag. Finally check everything with the light.
6) I filled my voids using a syringe with rubber tube on the end, a 1/16"
drill bit to put a hole at each end of the void, and neat Araldite as the
substance to be injected.

If you can have a composite-knowledgeable friend helping you, it'll be worth
the beer you have to buy him tenfold.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Davey
Europa Monowheel 537M G-EZZA
Tail done
Standard XS wings with mods underway
CM installed in fuse (with airbrakes fittings)
1200 build hours to date
Intended fit:
Rotax 914 turbo, Airmaster CS fully-feathering prop
Lots of lights, buttons, switches, gizmos, and alarms