RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Question and other information

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Question and other information
From: Tony Krzyzewski <tonyk@kaon.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:14:05

>> A person I know (who shall remain nameless) who has a 912S discovered
that their Rotax tacho was under-reading by 600RPM! Says something about
the durability of Rotax engines!!!

I'd second that recommendation to check the Rotax tacho. We had one
owner here who, as it turned out, had been overrevving his 914 by 1200+
RPM for eighteen months due to a miscalibrated tacho. If he had EGT
gauges he would have realised earlier that his engine was being fried
but the plane had been build with the minimum of engine instrumentation.

When we stripped the engine down it was a far from pretty sight inside
with valve burn, annealed pistons and an extremely soft cylinder head.
With a few 1000 dollars thrown into replacement parts the engine
performed like new when I test flew it and it's been behaving well ever
since.

Tony