Europa-List: Rotax 914 Question and other information

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax 914 Question and other information
From: Carpenter Matt <mcarpenter@concordefs.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:04:04

We have owned/flown our A138 for almost 1 year.  This entire time I knew
that
something was not right about the engine.. not enough power!
Sure we had no problem taking off, we had no problem going places, but we
had a problem getting over 8000 AGL
and not losing most of our MP!

The problem has been solved!!  well.. most of them anyway
The rubber flanges (correct?) connecting the airbox to the Carbs was loose.
So lose in fact I was
able to pull them apart.
The next day (Last Saturday) we finished up on our Oil Mod (lowering down),
then creating a baffle between the
oil and water cooler!  Thanks to all the great help/web sites on this info!
The oil temps are running around
220 and CHT at 250 in climb with OAT of 82F.  I also changed the bottom
cowling.. I added some fiberglass to help
smooth the airflow.  This all worked great!!

We took the plane up for the first time after all our mods, as we advanced
the throttle, we shot past 39, and hit 50 MP
for a few seconds.  I pulled power and we stopped to figure out why we had
SO much MP now.. well the turbo was working.. and it had never worked
before!  We then took off, keeping 39MP, then few around a bit at 35MP.. wow
what a difference it made.  In the past we never got past 34MP.

Now for the question..
Our throttle has always gone to the floor to get 34MP, we its only half way.
Is this correct?  I have tried to connect the TCU up to my laptop with no
success.  I have engine serial #4425662, and that should work with out a
dongle.
I plan on making some humps for 100% and 115% on the throttle.  Also, we I
keep pushing the throttle, it will go way over boost.  In fact the 50"MP is
with the throttle at the 3/4 way to the full stop. Is the wastgate not
working? I can see it move when the TCU first comes on.

One other thing.  We flew around for about 20 mins, at 5400RPM, 35"MP.. the
WARN light begin to flash.  When we pulled
power back to around 31-32"MP, the light would stop.  Okay, the manual says
I can run at 35"MP and 5400RPM all the time.
Any ideas on that?

Thanks!

Matt Carpenter
A138