Europa-List: Battery Compartment in Rear

Subject: Europa-List: Battery Compartment in Rear
From: Richard Holder <rholder@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:18:16

I have done some small calculations in respect of the W&B of G-OWWW which
currently has the battery in the rear.

For the purpose of calculation I have said the battery weighs 12 pounds and
moving it forward to the firewall is a distance of 7 feet. I suspect that
these are low and high respectively - which would make my numbers still
reasonable.

For the most forward CofG case (two pilots 189 pounds, no baggage, no fuel)
the CofG moves from 58.26 to 57.45 when the battery is moved forward.

For the most rearwards CofG case (one 121 pound pilot, full baggage, full
fuel) the CofG moves from 62.41 to 61.56

So the battery needs to be at the back to allow for the low fuel situation.
The battery change makes a significant difference :-(

I do agree though that in the cruise (912S, Airmaster, 25.5 in MAP, 125
indicated knots, in all full and part fuelled situations, the trim has to be
wound forward almost all the way.

Maybe putting the battery in the P2's lap would be best !

Richard
Richard F.W. Holder                      01279 842804 (POTS)
Bell House, Bell Lane,                   01279 842942 (fax)
Widford, Ware, Herts,                    07860 367423 (mobile)
SG12 8SH                                 email : rholder@avnet.co.uk
Europa Classic Tri-gear : G-OWWW, High Cross
PA-28-181 : Piper Archer : G-JANA, EGSG (Stapleford)