Re: Europa-List: Finger brakes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Finger brakes
From: KARL HEINDL <kheindl@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:38:44

Peter,

My brake master cylinder has had the same problem as what you are describing. I
replaced the separate seals with ones from the local car shop. This appeared
to solve the problem, but the piston was still sticking now and again. A couple
of days ago I took it all apart again to check the seals: they were still
exactly
the orignal size (I kept a new one separately for comparison). My conclusion
is that the spring is too weak and/or the Dot5 is not a good lubricant.

I solved the problem for the time being by adding a smaller diameter spring
inside
the existing ones; they are also a bit shorter. The handles now snap back
very nicely in dry mode, just as I expected them to on day 1. I still have to
fill/bleed the system to check it out properly. I would prefer to use one strong
replacement spring.

Karl