Re: Europa-List: Finger brakes

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Finger brakes
From: Rocketman <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 21:27:59

Europa Aircraft wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>The brake manser cylinders were actually sourced from, and handled by the US
>office.
>
>There are a number of different "grades" of brake seals, and grades of dot 5
>fluid.
I found out that the previous batch of brake cylinders shiped to Europa
had a lower grade seal than specified.  This was not a huge problem, except when
combined with certain lower grades of DOT 5 fluid.  If the seals didn't like
the brand of fluid they would swell causing them to fail to return with the
spring only.  There were two solotions worked out to the problem with the
manufacturers
of the wheel, and master cylinders.  They were: 1. use automatic transmission
fluid as that should not harm anything or 2. change to the higher grade
seals, or both.  Problem was Europa didn't get a straight answer about which
automatic transmission fluid was best from either manufacturer.

>Also, there was no way in Europa's quality control could identify what seals
>were
installed in every cylinder as they all look alike.

>Good news is that no brakes have failed because of the seals when Dot 5 was
>used,
the bad seals just swell a little reqiring the pilot to manually return the
brake handles to the off position.

>Be sure and compleatly flush your system if changing brake fluids.
>
>Hope that helps!
>
>John

John,

Is the transmission fluid Dexron, or Type F?

--
Jeff A055
Builders Log: http://www.N55XS.com